Here’s a bit about what happened to Sikhs following the assassination of Indira Gandhi in Oct 1984 — for the record.
* Over 3000 Sikhs across were killed in a week — 30th of October 1984 to the 7th of November.
* Almost 150 were killed in uniform: service personnel travelling in trains, pulled out even though they were in uniform and killed, only because they were Sikhs.
* No one has been found guilty — even though it is generally understood that the Congress party engineered the killings and orchestrated the pogrom.
* Rajiv Gandhi, who became the prime minister after Indira Gandhi, justified the pogrom saying that “when a mighty tree falls, the earth shakes”
* In the ensuing 1984-85 elections, full page advertisements were put out by the Congress party depicting scorpions and centipedes, snakes and barbed wire. Some of the advertisements asked: ‘Do you feel apprehensive when you come out of the airport and look at your taxi driver?’
[Source: "Emerging India" by Jaswant Singh, Feb 1993.]