We are urban Indians and we number around 400 million. Our aspirations are principally related to working hard for a living, caring for our families, educating our children, and being good and responsible citizens.
As an urban Indian, I will vote for a party that promotes the values that matter to my country, my family, and me. I address this open letter to the political parties who seek my vote in the upcoming elections. Drop me a line if you can credibly demonstrate that you share the concerns and values that we have.
Here are my concerns.
1. Economic freedom.
- I want a government which generally leaves us alone. I don’t want a government that interferes in every aspect of our economic lives.
- I want a government that does not excessively tax my hard-earned money to fund wasteful expenditures.
- By chaining the economy, the government controls it to profit from it at the expense of the citizens. I want the government to liberalize the economy.
2. Personal freedom.
- I want a government that respects me as a citizen and not as a member of some religious, caste, linguistic, or vote bank group. I want to be treated equally and not discriminated against for whatever reasons.
- I want a government that does not dictate to me how I should live my life.
3. Education matters.
- I want my children to be educated. Government control of the education sector has crippled the system to the point that only the extremely wealthy can afford decent schooling. I want the government to get out of the education sector.
- I want a good education for my children because it is the only guarantee of success in an intensely competitive globalized world of today and the future.
4. Good governance.
- I see unimaginable corruption at all levels of government. Criminals routinely contest and win elections. I am not going to tolerate corruption any more. I will reject all parties that put up criminals as their candidates.
- I want the government to stick to the core functions and do them well. Primarily, I want the government to be responsible for internal security and I will hold the government accountable for the any lapses in security.
That’s all. I am not interested in GDP growth projections, on how by 2014 or whenever what is going to happen or not. I am not interested in empty promises about how India will become this or that superpower. I am quite capable of working hard and creating my own destiny.
I just want that the government do its job and I will do my bit. But I will not vote for any party that does not share my values and my concerns.